Is Elementary Montessori a Good Fit for your Family?
1. Our family believes that children are born curious learners.
2. At home we support our child in being as independent as he or she is able. This includes areas such as cleaning, cooking, tidying up, making lunch, and keeping belongings organized.
3. We believe the best way to learn is in a joyful, creative setting where choices are available within the necessary limits of the classroom and home setting.
4. We are willing to help our child with unique, individualized homework as well as traditional curriculum and home reading assignments.
5. We interact with our child in a respectful, polite way and expect this behavior from him or her with other children and adults.
6. We do not watch television or play computer games extensively, if at all.
7. We limit television to educational viewing when we sit as a family. Renting and viewing movies is a family event where our child’s moral development as a kind, thoughtful citizen takes priority over popular movies, peer pressure and adult interests.
8. Our child uses the Internet with our help for research about the world and to communicate with friends and family far away.
9. Our family goes out into the world regularly to experience new things such as hikes in the wilderness, visiting museums and art exhibits, and attending musical performances.
10. We read to or with our child every day.